Having a robust online presence has become one of the most crucial factors determining the success of a business. Businesses around the world are going through an unprecedented time that really puts them under the survival test. Depending on your business, some will just need to be active on social media, whereas others will rely heavily on business websites. A well-designed website should be responsive on all devices, SEO-friendly, secured and allow you to update information instantly and efficiently. Other factors include the look-and-feel of the website, whether it is user-friendly, has call-to-action buttons and can take customers on a smooth funnelling journey, which results in actual sales on the website.
With many factors to keep in mind, you need to find the right web design company that can help facilitate the success of your business. It is, no doubt, a challenging task to do, given that there are so many web design agencies and freelance developers competing mainly on prices. However, not all of them can offer the same service quality and meet your expectations. For a small city like Kamloops, you can still find many web design companies. It also takes you just a few clicks to find thousands of web designers, all promising they are what you are looking for.
With over 20 years of experience under our belt, we have summarized the top 5 tips to help you find your “dream” web design company in Kamloops, which is beneficial in the short and long terms.
- Knowing the project team
Often, a web development company has a project team, including a project manager, graphic designer, web developer and copywriter. Depending on your business needs, you might or might not require the entire team. However, understanding their roles allows you to utilize the available resources that help build a strong website.
– Project manager: communicates your requirements to the developers and keeps you updated on the progress.
– Graphic designer: helps you pick out a suitable theme for your website. This person can help you visualize what you want for your new website so that the final product matches your expectation. As well, if you need anything that requires graphic design, such as a logo, business card, and merchandises, this graphic designer can help.
– Web developer: is responsible for all technical works. Not all web developers share the same skillsets. Some are good with just a particular content management system that may or may not be what you are looking for. When hiring a web development company instead of a freelancer, you will benefit from having an experienced technical team from a professional company, which can work on much more sophisticated requests.
– Copywriter: if you want to take this chance to set a good foundation for your SEO campaign, a copy writer will be involved. This person will help you create relevant content that can captivate target audience’s attention, yet contain keywords that help your website rank well on search engines.
Hiring a freelancer is usually much cheaper to design a website. However, it is clear that you might be missing out on the above benefits a professional web design agency can provide.
2. Check out the portfolio
Pictures say a thousand words. You can tell a lot about a company’s expertise by looking at their previous work. By going through their portfolio, you may find some inspiration to bring your idea of an ideal website to life. You can also decide whether or not they have the skills and experience to fulfill your business needs. A professional company with years of experience would have no problem showing you their best works for references.
3. Discuss how you would like to communicate with the project team
Communication is one of the most critical factors impacting the success of any project. You should clearly state how you want to communicate, how often, as well as discuss and agree on the project timeline. This will ensure you are informed of the progress as they go, and the project is closely followed up.
4. Agree on the scope of work
You and the web development company should discuss and agree on the scope of work before starting the project. It will ensure the company stays within budget while delivering the desired objectives. The scope of work is often stated clearly in an official quote, so you and the company can refer to it when needed.
5. Be ready on your end
By saying be ready, you should provide all information needed by the web designer to finish the project on time and within budget. Taking too long the time to gather information (ex. Business photos, verbiage, etc.) may consume much of the valuable web development time. This may result in overrun costs. Moreover, make sure to give prompt feedback, which allows the project team to move quickly with their work and leave time to resolve any unforeseen issues.
Above are the top 5 tips that help you pick the right partner to design your website. We understand it is not necessarily an easy job to do. With thousands of agencies and freelancers out there, you may get lost, especially if this is your first time sourcing a web design company.
Make sure to do your research to understand the company’s expertise, skills and project team, be clear on what you need, how you want to communicate along the way, and you are good to go!